- Online application takes minutes
- Instant decisions
- 100% digital process from start to finish for coverage up to $3M
- Ability to decrease or apply to increase coverage as needs change
- No permanent coverage, only term life
Offers either term or whole life insurance. Term life can be be for up to 30 years.
Customization of policies
Customizable rates and deductibles, upgrades and downgrades available, decide whether to buy with an agent or buy online
Customer services and support
Multiple communication options, ability to speak to an agent
Online fast application, learning resources, access to rates before application
Yes, direct insurer
Ladder is designed for people who want coverage that can be increased or decreased in the future in accordance with their changing needs, or who prefer not to be locked into rigid terms. It’s best suited to people who feel comfortable applying for life insurance and other financial products and services online.
Ladder’s term life insurance product is built to give policyholders the flexibility to ladder their coverage in accordance with their needs. For example, if you pay off your mortgage or reach the age where all your children have graduated from college, you can evaluate your needs and reduce the amount of coverage. In doing so, you can potentially save thousands of dollars on premiums. On the flipside, if you decide to purchase a new home or have another child, you might want to apply to increase your coverage to take into account your higher level of liability.
- Streamlined, digital application process
- Direct-to-consumer, term life insurance, without any policy fees or commissioned sales agents
- Ability to adjust your level of coverage and monthly payments whenever you want
- Grace period of 61 days in the event that policyholder misses a payment
- Life insurance calculator offered on the site
- Extensive support pages with information about term life insurance
- 30-day “free look” period - if you aren’t happy, Ladder will refund your premium within the first 30 days
Anyone aged 20 to 60 who is a U.S. citizen or has been a permanent resident of the U.S. for more than 2 years may apply for coverage. Ladder offers coverage nationwide. It can take just a few minutes to get a quote and complete a digital application process. It’s free to apply and get a quote, and there are no obligations.
Here’s how it works:
- To get started, simply fill out your desired level of coverage and term length.
- Answer a few questions about your activities, health, and your financial situation.
- Review your answers, and hit “Submit” when prompted to complete your application.
It’s really that easy. Each qualified applicant is individually underwritten, and you may get an offer for a term life policy that you can accept right away. Health checks are not required for coverage up to $3M. For coverage above $3M, that decision is made on a case-by-case basis. If you are asked to take a medical exam—these are always free and can take place at the applicant’s home or office, whichever is more convenient. Exams excluded, it takes just a few minutes to complete the application. With Ladder, many applicants are able to accept their offer and have coverage begin immediately (subject to payment of first premium).
Policy Types and Terms
Ladder offers one highly customizable product: term life insurance. Benefits are paid in one lump sum to beneficiaries if the policy holder dies during the term, subject to some conditions, such as suicide.
- Coverage amounts range from $100,000 to $8 million
- Term lengths are for 10, 15, 20, 25, or 30 years
- Policy holders can decrease or apply to increase their coverage and payments at any time, all online
How Safe Is It?
In New York, policies are issued by Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York and in all other states and DC by Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America. Investors in Ladder include Canaan Partners and Northwestern Mutual Future Ventures, to name a couple, underpinning the market’s confidence in Ladder. Life insurance policy guarantees are backed solely by the issuing insurance company.
Help & Support
Ladder doesn’t employ commissioned agents, so whenever you contact them you can be assured you’re speaking to a directly-employed insurance licensed representative. Staff can be contacted via live chat or toll-free phone number at the following times:
Monday to Friday, 8am-5pm Pacific Time / 11am-8pm Eastern Time.
Ladder at a Glance
Ladder is disrupting the life insurance industry with online, streamlined approval of term life insurance. The name “Ladder” refers to its flexibility, with policyholders able to adjust their coverage level up or down by applying for more at any time in accordance with their changing needs. Unlike traditional brick-and-mortar insurance providers, Ladder can get customers who qualify covered in a few minutes.
P.O. Box 456, Menlo Park, CA 94026
Policies issued in New York by Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York, New York, NY (Policy form # MN-26) and policies issued in all other states and DC by Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America, Minneapolis, MN (Policy form # ICC20P-AZ100 and # P-AZ100). Only Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York is authorized to offer life insurance in the state of New York.
Allianz Life Insurance Company of New York and Allianz Life Insurance Company of North America have been rated A+ (Superior) based on an analysis of financial position and operating performance - affirmed September 2020, by A.M. Best Company, an independent analyst of the insurance industry. For the latest rating, access www.ambest.com.