- Ability to get your paycheck early
- No overdraft or hidden fees
- No minimum balance requirement
- Checkbooks and paper checks not available
- No physical branches
Advantages Over Traditional Banks
With a focus on digital financial management, Current offers a number of real-time features that would not be available with brick-and-mortar banks. Through Current’s excellent mobile app, you can sign up for an account in less than 2 minutes, instantly send and receive money to other Current members, and make contactless payments via Apple Pay or Google Pay.
Cutting-Edge Banking Services
Current is a financial tech company and not a bank, with a focus on flexibility and innovation. If you open an account with Current, you can:
- Add checks to your account through your phone’s camera
- Add cash to your account at more than 60,000 stores nationwide
- Save money by automatically rounding your purchases up to the nearest dollar and setting the difference aside
- No limit on direct deposits (Premium accounts only)
If you opt for a Teen account, your child will receive their own debit card, while the app’s parental control features enable you to monitor your teenager’s finances through:
- Instant spending notifications
- Merchant-blocking functions
- Spending limits
- Automated allowance payments
- Instant transfers to your child’s account
Traditional Banking Services
Although Current is a banking app, rather than a bank, it does provide some of the more attractive features associated with conventional banks, including:
- Access to fee-free withdrawals at more than 40,000 ATMs in the US, thanks to its Allpoint network membership
- Cashback on purchases at more than 14,000 participating retailers nationwide
- Overdraft up to $100 without overdraft fees
If you open an account with Current, you will pay the following fees:
|International purchases||3% of transaction amount|
Customer Service and Online Experience
You can contact the company via phone, email, in-app chat, chatbot, or social media. Its support team is available 24/7 via live chat in the app and email.
As you would expect from an app-based solution, Current’s online experience is sleek and intuitive. When we tested the site, we easily found all the information we needed and were also impressed by the prompt and polite response we received from its customer service team when we posed as a potential customer.
T: (888) 851-1172
Should you open an account with Current, you can download the app via Google Play or the App Store. The app allows you to:
- receive real-time notifications
- find fee-free ATMs in its network
- find retailers participating in reward schemes
Watch this video to learn more about Current’s app and the services it offers.
If you’re concerned about cybersecurity, Current offers a number of features designed to keep your money (and your data) safe, which include:
- EMV chips to prevent card skimming
- The ability to pause/resume transactions
- Secure connections for transferring funds
- Fingerprint/face ID lock
- A dedicated fraud team
- FDIC insurance on funds of up to $250,000 through its issuing bank, Choice Financial Group
If you're comfortable managing your finances via an app, Current's suite of features can enable you to budget more effectively and even save money. The teenage banking feature also gives you the freedom to manage almost every aspect of your family’s finances through a single solution. Current's live chat staff are available 24/7 through the app and provide a fast, efficient service.
This review was compiled using information from the Current website and its social media profile.