Axos Rewards Checking summary
- High APYs for checking accounts
- No monthly fees on any checking or savings accounts
- Dedicated accounts for seniors and teens
- Assistance with switching from previous bank
- No interest on most basic checking account
- Lacks rewards offered by some rival online banks
- Lack of support for mobile wallets
No fees at all
FDIC insured, SSL/AES encription and supports 2 factor and biometric authentication
Early morning, evening and weekend service with multiple communication options and a dedicated fraud team
Excellent user friendly site with transparency of rates and full online banking capabilities
Basic mobile app that may not be available on all devices
Advantages Over Regular Bank
Axos Bank, formerly Bank of Internet USA, was born on July 4, 2000. The bank’s founders purposely set the launch date for the Fourth of July because they wanted to demonstrate their independence from traditional banking. Almost 20 years on, and Axos is still a leader in online banking.
Here are some of the advantages Axos offers over regular banks:
- 24/7 access to bank accounts and associated services, including evenings, weekends, and holidays
- Open a new bank account in minutes, from the comfort of your computer or phone.
- None of those annoying fees the big brick-and-mortar banks charge, such as monthly maintenance and transfer fees.
- Round-the-clock customer support for all users, via website, secure messaging, or phone.
Cutting-Edge Banking Services
Throughout almost 20 years in online banking, Axos Bank has had plenty of time to develop and refine its services in accordance with what its customers want.
Axos Bank highlights include:
- Access to your paycheck two days early when you sign up with direct deposit.
- Manage all your regular bills within one dashboard.
- Step-by-step checklist on moving your old bank account over to your new Axos account.
- Up to 1% cashback on all transactions that require a signature (with special CashBack Checking account only).
- Joint checking accounts for 13-17 year olds and parents, with accompanying financial management tools.
- Visa offers and perks.
Traditional Banking Services
Axos Bank has made a name for itself as one of the longest-running digital banks, but it by no means neglects traditional banking services. Axos Bank users get access to a range of bank accounts and financial services.
Here’s a breakdown:
- 5 types of checking accounts, with varying features and requirements
- 2 types of high-yield savings and money market accounts
- Range of certificates of deposit, with terms ranging from 3 to 60 months
- Wide selection of loan products, including: personal loans, auto loans, and home loans
- Access to global network of ATMs, with unlimited fee reimbursements for some accounts and limited reimbursements for others
- Financial services for businesses, including: merchant services, business loans and financing, and a range of digital business banking tools
- Axos Premier, a private program for anyone who opens a deposit account with a minimum opening deposit of $500,000. Includes personal relationship manager, expedited services, and full high-transfer, ATM, and point-of-sale limits
Interest Rates and Fees
One of the best things about Axos Bank is the fees – or lack thereof. Axos Bank doesn’t charge any maintenance fees. What’s more, most accounts come with the lure of no overdraft fees as well as ATM reimbursements ranging from unlimited for standard checking accounts to $8-12 worth of monthly reimbursements for age-restricted accounts.
|Account type||APY||Min. balance|
|Rewards Checking||Up to 1.25%||Varies by tier|
|Golden Checking (Age 55+)||0.10%||$50|
|First Checking (Age 13-17)||0.10%||$0|
|High-Yield Savings||0.15% - 0.61%||$0|
|High-Yield Money Market||0.25%||$0|
|CDs (3 to 60 months)||0.55% to 2.25%||$1,000|
With Axos Bank, you don’t only get 24/7 online access. You also get 24/7 customer service via two methods: secure messaging (online or mobile) or phone. In addition, the Axos Bank website has an extensive support section with answers to lots of frequently asked questions.
All Axos Bank customers get access to the free Axos mobile banking app, available for download on iOS and Android devices. Although not as comprehensive as Axos Bank’s online platform, the app does have some pretty useful features.
With the Axos mobile banking app, you can:
- Check your account balances
- Transfer funds between your Axos accounts
- Pay bills
- View your account transaction history
- Contact a customer support rep using secure messaging
One of the things we like about Axos Bank is that it’s transparent about security measures. According to Axos, its accounts come with the following layers of protection:
- 2-step authentication, consisting of questions only you know the answer to or a security code to your mobile device
- 128-bit SSL encryption to ensure your data remains private and secure
- Regular updates to detect and prevent viruses and malware
- Automatic logout when your session is inactive for more than a few minutes
- Accounts are regularly monitored for potential fraud
Axos Bank does the basics very well, in fact better than most banks. While it lacks some of the rewards and add-ons found at other online banks, Axos is up there with the best banks when it comes to APYs and fees. If being able to open parallel checking and savings accounts with decent interest, no fees, and the convenience of 24/7 access from your computer or mobile device is your priority – then Axos Bank checks all the right boxes.