AAA Auto Club Group summary
- Includes AAA membership
- Online quotes available for most counties
- Plenty of discounts available
- Some coverage not available in all states
- Fewer benefits than other AAA products
If you already use AAA for auto insurance, it makes sense to bundle and save with AAA home insurance. AAA home insurance could also be a smart choice if you’re hoping to manage your policy and claims online, but being tech-savvy isn’t a requirement as AAA also offers phone assistance.
If you recently renovated your home to be more weather resistant, AAA offers discounts that can help you save on home insurance. Because AAA requires membership for coverage, if you choose AAA home insurance that also means you can benefit from a range of travel discounts from hotels, car rental companies and airlines, as well as travel accident insurance.
What Coverage Includes
Coverage through the AAA umbrella is actually provided by a variety of insurers. Likewise, AAA itself is not a single entity, but a federation of motor clubs offering automotive services like insurance and roadside assistance. As a result, coverage varies from county to county and from state to state. In general, however, you can expect to see the following coverage:
- Main dwelling: This covers damages to the physical structure of your home from natural causes, like fire or wind, or events caused by people, like theft or vandalism.
- Personal property: This includes appliances and furniture — the exact details of what’s covered and where liability limits lie will depend on your policy.
- Other structures: These include other permanently installed, detached structures on your property, like a separate garage, shed, or gazebo. Your policy may also cover, for example, fences or docks.
- Living expenses: Also called temporary housing protection. If, because of an event covered in your policy, you are no longer able to inhabit your home, you may be reimbursed for temporary housing and storage.
Depending on your region and policy, you may also be eligible for an array of additional coverage options. While the above coverage is typically included in all policies, those listed below may or may not be offered, and if they are, they are usually optional.
- Jewelry and valuables: These can vary widely between regions, but your coverage may include small items of value, like jewelry and watches.
- Personal liability: Personal liability protection comes into play when you’re found responsible for damages or losses to another person’s body or property.
- Medical payments for others: If your policy includes this clause, you can be reimbursed for medical expenses and payments if somebody gets injured on your property.
There are three ways to apply for AAA insurance: online, by telephone, and in-person. The quickest and simplest method for most people will be applying online. You’ll need to visit your region’s AAA site (they vary by state) and fill out an online form. Some regions may not be eligible for an online quote, but this is rare.
To expedite the quote process, AAA may collect information from third party providers, like consumer reporting agencies, driving records, claims and credit history. The online questionnaire is quick and straightforward, and only took us a few minutes to get through. We got our quote directly online , without having to have an additional email or phone call with an insurance agent.
One advantage to signing up with AAA Home Insurance is that there are discounts available. First, you can save over 20% on your home insurance by combining additional insurance policies, like auto insurance. There’s also discounts for policyholders who have been with the AAA (or an affiliate) for longer than one year, and for persons aged 55 or older and who are retired.
Based on the state of your home, you may be eligible for a numbers of discounts: if you haven’t filed any claims in the past three years, if your home is outfitted with a protective device (e.g., fire or burglar alarm), if your home was built recently, if your roof is resistant to hail, or if it’s been recently renovated.
How Safe is it?
AAA is a large, well-known, national brand, founded more than 115 years ago. It has more than 60 million members in the USA and Canada, and is well known for its road-side assistance, auto insurance, and AAA travel ratings. The Home Insurance branch of AAA has an A+ rating from AM Best.
Claims & Customer Support
Customer service is available 24/7; you can use the same AAA hotline for your club area as you would for assistance. You can use customer service to file a claim, or simply log onto your account on your state’s AAA website and file your claim online. Make sure you hold onto the claim tracking number, so you can check its status and easily communicate with customer service as you move forward.
AAA is an obvious choice for members of the auto club, but if you’re not a AAA member, that shouldn’t necessarily stop you either. There are plenty of discounts here, according to your home and personal situation. AAA is well-known and has a high AM Best rating. The application process is straightforward, and you can manage your policy entirely online if you so desire.