Western Union summary
- More than 57,000 locations in North America
- Cash and debit transfers can be picked up in minutes*
- Pay bills online
- May be premium compared to other transfer services in some cases
% of transfer or flat rate
Under an hour
Help from an agent over the phone or through live chat available
Regulated and encrypted secure transfers, biometric entry and multi factor authentication for account
Online and mobile experience
User friendly site and app that supports mobile transfers from all devices
What You Need to Know
|Transfer fee||Varies depending on transfer details, including but not limited to, sending currency, receiving currency, send amount, payment method, receive method|
|Transfer time||Minutes* to 6 business days|
|Transfer types||Cash pickup, bank transfer, mobile wallet, direct to card|
|Daily transfer limit||Varies depending on transfer details|
|Transfer purpose||Personal and business|
Western Union Fees and Rates
Western Union transfer fees vary depending on transfer details, including but not limited to, sending currency, receiving currency, send amount, payment method, receive method. In many cases, transferring money from a personal U.S. bank account to an international personal bank account does not incur a transfer fee; however, an exchange rate spread may apply.
How Does It Work?
Send money using a wide variety of payment methods, including credit card, debit card, bank account or cash at an agent location. Initiate transfers from the Western Union mobile app, wu.com or in-person at an agent location. Cash, debit, and credit transfers can be ready for cash pickup in just a few minutes to more than 200 countries and territories around the world.
- To send money online from wu.com:
- Create an online profile
- Choose recipient’s country and the amount to send
- Choose to send for cash pickup, to a personal bank account, mobile wallet or direct to card (not all receive products available in every destination)
- Select a payment method (credit, debit, bank account, or cash in-store available at most locations)
- Track transfer capability available on wu.com or the Western Union app
How Long Does It Take?
Cash pickup transfers funded with a debit card, credit card, or cash paid in-store are ready in minutes*. Payment funded by a personal bank account may take up to 4 days to process. Track transfer capability available on wu.com or the Western Union app.
Western Union Top Highlights
- Cash pickup at more than 525,000 locations in more than 200 countries and territories
- Send money to U.S. prison inmates
- Pay bills online or with cash at an agent location
- Fund transfers with cash at any Western Union location
- Transfers paid by cash, debit, or credit are ready for pickup in minutes*
- Track transfer on wu.com or the Western Union app
- 24/7 customer support
Western Union offers 24/7 customer support by phone and live chat. Receive in-person help by visiting any Western Union location.
Phone: (800) 325-6000
Privacy and Security
One example of how Western Union protects transfers is by offering the option to include a security question when sending money for cash pickup. The recipient must present ID and know the answer to the security question to receive the funds.
Western Union secures online accounts for business users with two-factor authentication, preventing account access in the event of a stolen password. Western Union also posts information online and in agent locations warning customers about potential scams and to avoid sending money to unknown recipients.
Western Union enables consumers to send money for cash pickup at more than 525,000 locations in more than 200 countries and territories worldwide. In addition, consumers can transfer funds directly to a recipient’s personal bank account, mobile wallet or direct to card (options not available in all locations and/or when sending from all locations). The service can be expensive, particularly if funding a transfer with a credit card; however, Western Union can complete debit, credit, and cash-initiated transfers in minutes*. Western Union offers online tracking for your transfers and 24/7 customer support.
*Funds may be delayed or services unavailable based on certain transaction conditions, including amount sent, destination country, currency availability, regulatory issues, identification requirements, Agent location hours, differences in time zones, or selection of delayed options.