Lemonade Car Insurance summary
- Low premiums with discounts available
- Environmentally friendly
- Covers all types of accidents
- Currently only available in Illinois
- No phone support unless its an emergency crash
What Makes Lemonade Stand Out?
Lemonade is known for beating average insurance prices, and its new car insurance policies are no different. Premiums start as low as $30 per month, and there are discounts available for good drivers and electric vehicle owners. When something goes wrong, Lemonade makes it simple to fix the situation. You can request free roadside assistance or file a claim through the mobile app. Lemonade policies cover all types of accidents, from crashes to cracked windshields to theft.
For now, Lemonade is only available in one state: Illinois. The company expects to move into Tennessee next, with more states to be added in the near future. It’s also important to note that while you can request help or file a claim through the mobile app, there’s no phone support unless you need emergency crash assistance. You also must keep location services within the Lemonade app on at all times when driving.
Who Can Benefit From Lemonade?
Lemonade car insurance is suited for a wide variety of drivers.
First, it’s a great choice for anyone on a tight budget since Lemonade’s premiums start from just $30 per month. In addition, Lemonade offers discounts based on your driving behavior. Safe and low-mileage drivers can qualify for lower premiums.
Lemonade is also a good option for electric vehicle owners. Free roadside assistance includes emergency electric vehicle battery charging, and Lemonade’s policies also cover your vehicle’s wall or portable charger. Even better, electric vehicle owners can get a discount just for being environmentally friendly.
Lemonade is also a good car insurance option for environmentalists and do-gooders. In addition to built-in policy benefits for electric vehicle drivers, Lemonade helps offset your vehicle’s carbon emissions by planting trees on your behalf. The company also has a giveback policy, in which up to 40% of premiums that weren’t paid out as part of claims at the end of each year are donated to a charity of your choice.
Types of Auto Insurance
Lemonade offers the following types of insurance:
- Bodily injury liability: This type of insurance covers medical bills and income loss for others in case you’re at fault in a collision. It’s legally required in most states.
- Property damage liability: This type of liability coverage pays for damage to another person’s car or property if you’re at fault in a collision. Like bodily injury liability insurance, it’s required in most states.
- Collision: Collision insurance pays for damage to your vehicle in case of a collision with another vehicle or an object like a utility pole.
- Comprehensive: Comprehensive insurance covers damage to your vehicle from non-collision events such as theft, storm damage, and animals.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist: This type of insurance covers your vehicle and your medical expenses in the event that the at-fault driver in an accident doesn’t have insurance.
- Medical payments: Medical payments coverage will cover medical expenses for you and your passengers, regardless of who was at fault in an accident.
- Free roadside assistance
- Free emergency crash assistance
- Coverage for electric vehicle chargers
- Plants trees to offset your car’s carbon emissions
- Donates excess premiums to a charity of your choice
- Discounts for bundling with home, renters, life, or pet insurance
How to Apply
You can apply for Lemonade insurance online. Just enter your name, birthdate, address, and information about your vehicles. Lemonade will fetch your driving records and offer an adjustable quote immediately.
Once you have a quote, you can adjust the amount of coverage you want and include or exclude optional coverage such as medical payments. Lemonade will update your quote as you make changes so you can see how your premiums are affected. Once you’re happy with your policy, you can check out online and your policy will go into effect immediately.
Filing a Claim
You can file a claim with Lemonade through the mobile app or online. Lemonade uses artificial intelligence to walk you through the claims procedure, so the documentation you’ll need depends on your situation. Typically, you’ll need to take a few photos of damage to your vehicle.
Once your claim is submitted, you’ll be notified immediately if it’s approved. If it isn’t, an agent will get in touch within an hour to ask for more documentation or to explain why you weren’t approved. You can take your vehicle to any state-certified mechanic for repairs and Lemonade will reimburse you for the cost.
Lemonade offers customer support by live chat and email, 24/7. You can get in touch by phone, but only for emergency assistance. The company also has a blog and is active across Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter.
Phone: (844) 733-8666
Lemonade car insurance is very affordable, with premiums as low as $30 per month. You can reduce the cost of your policy with safe driving or by bundling car insurance with another Lemonade insurance policy. All Lemonade policies come with free roadside assistance, and you can customize your policy’s coverage when building a quote. In addition, Lemonade plants trees for every driver who signs up and gives back extra premiums to a charity of your choice at the end of each year.